Planets Sun Sun Sun

Friday, November 12, 2010

Psychology - where you start to learn yourself

The thing I like about writing blog is that I can talk to myself like nobody is reading when actually you will reading. Fine.....

Sudden urge to talk about why I chose psychology at the first place...

Accounting was my best subject when I was in Taylors, I am pretty much in the top 10 in Taylors. When I was doing accounting, I strike for perfect score, and when I wasn't doing well, I'll blame that as my mere carelessness rather than because I can't understand. So most of the time, I would assume I had grasped all the knowledge in it and there are no reason for me to perform less than perfect. Because in the world of accounting, there are always very straightforward, there are only 'right' and 'wrong'.

There are nothing like 'thinking box' in the world of accounting, everything is in the book, hence, you can get all your answer in you small little text book. Similar to the world where I was raised, we were trained to do 'good' things, 'follow' order and listen the 'right' one from the seemingly 'right person, healthy environment, etc'. I was not encourage to ask and being curious of things outside the box. When you behave in the socially accepted matter, you are the 'good' kid, and if you behave outside the 'social boundary', you are the 'bad' kid. Kids who demonstrated outrageous behavior (i.e. had awesome idea, willing to violate teachers opinion, who seek 'free thinking', etc) are not acceptable, that is, openness to experience, describe by psychology model.

While management and economy is different, everything has no boundary, there are always someone who had a different opinion from you, always conflicting ideas and opinions. Similar to psychology, where everything is in a 'mess'. I remembered asking my senior how to perform better in my psychology units, and he told me it was hard for most Asian as we were not trained to think the way, while Caucasian had different mind concept with them.

Before I took psychology, I had received advice from different adults suggesting it was a really hard course, I had no fear at all. Up until I started learning, I realise everything is not in the book. Everyone is arguing different p.o.v. The lectures are not explaining from the book. Research was conducted from 6637426347264738642 sources out there.

My point is, I might not do well in psychology compare to most Caucasian, but I learn so much from it, where I started to 'think of the box', and 'listen opinion by not believing 100%' (and things that are not tested).

My mum would have still be unhappy for me to take psychology, but I really hope one day I could bring her to the world of psychology, where the world seems endless, where the world has no boundaries, and so much to explore. I once told someone, studying psychology is like at the end of the day, you realize you learn nothing, because there are no exact answer. And the philosophy of the knowledge is integrate more and more ideas. 

And yes I am very happy because I had become more critical thinker than last time, I did not agree with people easily (doesn't mean I'll argue), but I will provide my opinion on that matter. The best lesson I learn from social psychology is that 'the best model is always the one where you keep counter argue and then it's still strong at the end of the argument'.

That is why, most of the time, I would encourage people to think at different point of view when they are arguing with themselves. I know there are no exact answer to support one particular model, but then by standing away from yourself and look at the world differently is always the wisest way to do your own thinking.

p/s: After listening to my friend on how bad the psychology in Malaysia, I am so fucking glad that I did my degree at OZ :D
P/P/S: NO, there are not pics about me, sowwwwyyyyyy

2 comments:

  1. You would be my thinking skills faveret student if she sees this, I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. show him/her this post lah ~ see if i can become his/her assistant when i go back

    ReplyDelete