Planets Sun Sun Sun

Sunday, September 26, 2010

The art of smoking

Ok lah, is not like i am going to teach you how to smoke or encourage you to smoke, but it's just my mini teeny opinion on smoking. I guess by the time you finish reading this posts, you will be realize I am just writing crap...

Do you have close friend who smokes? Or someone you hang out very often who smokes, not like heavy smoker, like just 'social smoker'?

Because I do, and I have plenty of them. If you don't have, can you try to imagine you have one, like your closest friend, or someone like your idol / someone who inspires you smokes ? Probably someone like Coco Chanel.

AHHA !! Someone like COCO CHANEL actually smokes. 

I am pretty sure she inspired a lot of young women today , although she smokes, you still like her, don't you? But the fact that you like her is because she is an awesome designer, you won't hate her just because she is smoking, right? Just like most how most women wants to be a French women, because they are elegant, yet most of them smoke. 

Carrie Bradshaw smokes too, but you still like her in SATC.
Do you get what i mean up to this point .....  (I think you don't, so i will elaborate more)

You won't hate somebody because he/she smokes, you hate him/her for other things, but you will use 'because he/she smokes' to increase your hate-o-meter to that person.

I had 2 lectures, one is a French lecture for linguistic and another local Australian lecture for Psychology. Apparently, i love the French lecture because she was so kind and clear when she is lecturing (she is still my favorite lecture up until today), and i hate the Pscyh's lecture because she is so not good, and so does her personality (she is also my least favorite lecture up until today, sigh.....). So when my junior ask me how's the psych's lecture, i will just say : she is not good, and you know what? she smokes', and my junior will be like 'har, really ar !!'



So apparently, 'smoking' is associated with 'negative behavior'. If someone's personality is good, he/she is less like to be associated with 'smoking'.. It is also human innate to be some kind of bias, so there's no one to blame.

Ok, the thing is if you have close friend who is smoking, it is less likely to you quit your friendship, (or at least in my case) but  what you will do  is to give advice, if they can't stop, you can't do anything (and at least in my case, i won't)

And then up until this point, you will argue: But it's not fair mah, how about the 2nd hand smoker?



Ya, right. If apparently, someone nearby you smokes on some public location, you can actually walk few steps away so that you won't get  to inhale the smoke.

But then now you will bitch me like 'wah, but there are places that is too pack or too small that  I can never avoid' 

Haiz..... instead of cursing that person or bitching to your friend about that asshole, I would actually recommend you to tap on that someone' shoulder and ask him/her to stop smoking because you are not feeling comfortable (or probably go to somewhere else to smoke)

If you can't even take any action to stop people to smoke, I don't think you should 'judge' smoker = bad people. (But after all, judging happens all the time, I hope I won't judge you because you judge other people)
Just because someone is doing something you don't like, doesn't mean he/she is doing wrongly. If you think they are wrong, help them; if you can't help them, stop saying they are wrong.

I can't deny 2nd hand smoker is very very innocent, knowing I'll be the 2nd smoker, I have to learn to protect myself. My friend who smokes will respect me by going further or even ask if I am ok if they smoke.

And you, who reading this, knowing you are a 2nd hand smoker, you should know how to protect yourself in anytime, instead of keep blaming the smoker, because ....


P/S: I didn't know i will end up so long.
p/p/s/: this post is writing on a 2nd hand smoker perspective, or rather, my own perspective. 
p/p/p/s: kind of inspired from xiaxue's post of anti smoking, but i disagree in someway.
p/p/p/p/s: I think this post is going to be a bit controversial, I hope someone can tell me more ways to protect myself from becoming a 2nd hand smoker

4 comments:

  1. the funny thing is, in my medical university, the group of future doctors smoke a lot compare to other courses. -.-" Pfft doctors setting 'good' example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jilliancat: I've heard of that from my friend, reason for smoking 'it helps to de-stress'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ken: it's bad, but its not like i can do anything except for telling my friend not to smoke

    ReplyDelete